UPDATE: Thank you very much to everyone who came tonight! We had a wonderful turnout and a lively discussion. And a lot of great food!!! I hope you all enjoyed yourselves because I sure did!
I am honored and humbled to be giving a presentation for the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation on Thursday, February 23, 2012. This organization is incredibly important and successful in keeping New York’s Greenwich Village safe from harmful development projects that threaten this bucolic and historic neighborhood from all directions. There is truly no place on earth like the Village. Because of the dedicated people at GVSHP and their supporters, the Village remains a vital, dynamic and diverse part of the city with green spaces, sky views, and wonderful architecture for everyone to enjoy.
I will be talking about the markets in Lower Manhattan and beyond, including food markets, farmers markets, artisan markets, and flea market. These venues have become vibrant traditional markets for a modern society, as well as incubators for many creative business ventures. They add color and texture to the neighborhoods they serve, and they provide access to innovative products from local artisans and entrepreneurs.
I have invited five wonderful food purveyors to provide a sense of the quality and variety of food products available in many of the city’s markets:
- Amy’s Bread – Chelsea Market and Bleecker Street
- Murray’s Cheese – Grand Central Market and Bleecker Street
- Roni-Sue’s Chocolates – Essex Street Market
- SchoolHouse Kitchen Condiments – New Amsterdam Market, Smorgasburg
- Sour Puss Pickles – Brooklyn Craft Central Markets, Fulton Stall Market, New Amsterdam Market
Representatives from all of these companies will be available to answer questions, and they will be providing product tastings after the presentation. They will also have their delicious products available for purchase! I will have copies of Markets of New York City available for purchase, and I’d be happy to sign copies too!
- When: Thursday, February 23, 6:30 – 8PM
- Where: Hudson Park Branch Library, 66 Leroy Street (Map)
- RSVP Required: firstname.lastname@example.org
I am looking forward to this event, and I hope you will join me! And don’t forget to RSVP!